Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Fall Garden

Well I just planted head cabbage, chinese cabbage, broccoli and carrots in the last 2 weeks. I see next to no sprouts and I am thinking of replanting some things. However, I am OUT of carrots.

Next week I have onions and garlic coming and that bed for those are set to go. I just finished ripping out the corn and watermelon there.

I wanted to show how much of my garden has progressed, and what I am ready to finish with next.

Acorn squash has gotten bigger then baseballs finally, and I even found a couple of new ones on the vine. So I've found a total of 5 squash on one vine. Should I prune some off if I want these to ripen?

Then I was over joyed to see my black beans are done. The foliage is dying back, and that means the beans will start drying soon. These will be storage beans for some of my favorite spanish dishes over the winter.

I did find this funky looking bug on my beans though? What is it? Kinda looks like a lizard of some sort. But honestly, this thing is tiny. like 1/16" the size of my finger nail.

Check this out... my first butternut squash has appeared!!

Now this is my sprite melon... I'm supposed to wait until the flesh is white to pick... so I'm guessing I need to wait like I did with my watermelons. Wait until the tendril starts to brown and separates easily from the melon. It really is tiny cute!!! No bigger then my acorn squash is now.

1 comment:

  1. Goodness, you brought me back to some nostalgia. I used to grow vegetables year round at my old house...but now I live in a city. *sigh* I want my garden back. :(

    ReplyDelete