Wednesday, September 15, 2010

It's Apple Day!


With harvest season in full swing, today I broke into my second bushel of apples. The first bushel I finished about 2 weeks ago, and those were some super yummy winesap. They were low on winesap and wouldn't be able to get me another bushel for another 2 weeks, so this week we have Cortland apples. Very crisp, reminds me of the apples I grew up in Connecticut with. Much larger then winesap, but hey have a squat donut type shape.

I must suggest this as a MUST try variety. I was told they are an old a variety developed in NY. But not sure about anything with their rootstock. If I knew, I would probably make room to plant a few of these out in our mini orchard. Knowing my area though, for most varieties, I don't get enough chill hours in the winter. These were NC mountain grown.

But for now, I will leave you with gorgeous photos of the apples and the works in progress. Including Apple Jelly, Apple Pectin and Apple Butter in the crock pot!


I am going to leave you with my Crockpot Apple Butter recipe:

(4 Quart size) Crock pot

Peel and core 12-16 apples, chop into 1" chunks
Put in crockpot on high, add Cinnamon (1 tsp), nutmeg (1/8 tsp) and ground ginger (1/4 tsp).
After for 2-2 1/2 hours use a stick blender to puree (or put in your food processor)
Add back to the crockpot on low, mix in 1/4 cup brown sugar 1 cup white sugar and let simmer for 12 hours.
If the mix is still watery remove lid and check every 30 minutes until the mixture is thick and jam like.


No comments:

Post a Comment