No matter how much I fought she would not leave me be until I made CUPCAKES!!!
So what did I come up with?
Orange and Chocolate Mini Cupcakes with Butter Cream Frosting.
1/2 cup milk
3 large egg whites(do not discard yolks, you'll need them for frosting)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of ` fresh orange (or 1 Tbsp dried zest)
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 6 tbsp softened butter
Butter Cream Frosting:
- 1/4 cup softened butter
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla (or orange extract for more citrus flavor)
- 1 egg yolk
- a few drops of food color, whatever you want
- Preheat oven 350
- Mix milk, egg whites, zest and extract set aside
- Mix flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder and salt. Add butter while mixing on low one tbsp at a time. Mixture should be crumbly looking.
- Add milk mixture slowly and mix on low for a minute and a half until mousse like.
- Pour into cupcake/muffin tins with liners. Bake 18-22 minutes. (Until toothpick comes out clean.)
- While cupcakes cool mix together all frosting ingredients until whipped nicely. Put on cupcakes when completely cool and serve.