Monday, June 7, 2010

Things Are Growing More Then You Know

I've been a bit busy lately, trying to make a start at a new farmers market, and trying to race the rain to the garden. Though we needed the rain, we got way too much, way too close together. I was lucky to get my garlic out while I could. I had a close call last night trying to get all my onions out and set out to dry, because before I could finish the sky opened up and let the rain come tumbling down again!

So it seems like months have passed in much less time since I'm actually harvesting things. So I thought I would share the few things I've got to collect, and the wonderful fruits that are getting ready for me to enjoy soon.

First, as mentioned above, I collected my onions. I had to find a workable drying method so they could cure on the front porch with my garlic. Like the garlic, no direct sun, that could wreck the flavor. So on to the north porch they go. I needed something they could sit on and let air pass through, they need good air circulation, or you end up with dark squishy spots, or mold before they are done curing for storage. Some people braid the tops together and hang them, which is a fine idea.... but I had no where to hang them. I needed something they could sit on. Some milk crates, or old soda flat would have been perfect, but I don't have any of those. However, someone gave us all their windows from their house when they got their windows redone and I just remembered at the last second (race against the storm) they gave us all the screens too! So with the help of my front porch bench, and some cement garden liners.... we have a stackable onion drying system. And I should be able to do this again next year, because I am so going to be doing onions again.

Here you can see the garlic now 10 days into curing, in about 10-14 more they should be done and ready for storage in my pantry.
I am harvesting Lettuce regularly now. I pull the outside leaves while leaving the inside tiny leaves to keep to producing. Long as they are blocked from mid day sun being on the north front garden bed, they don't get bitter. I should have a salad bar all summer.

I was once concerned about a climbing rose I bought in Feburary, but it appears that it has taken off with vigor... and I will making rose petal jelly again very soon!


To the joy of many who want to buy some, my heirloom tomatoes are producing TONS of green tomatoes right now. My White Wonder are prolific with dozens on each plant. I have Green Sausage tomatoes that are taking off as well. I checked my Italian Market Reds, and they are just forming the first few with Purple Cherokee and Roomii tomatoes close behind. The last two are long season tomatoes, they need nearly 100 days to ripen... its like waiting for a watermelon!

I am going to do a separate post for my grapes... but I want to share how those cuttings I did back in April are doing. I know some people are following that for learning how to propergate their own vines. Its not exactly easy... up until now every cutting I've ever done DIED! I will share my good fortune this time though. Next post!

Don't forget to post any questions you have, it doesn't have to be private messages, I'm sure lots of people have the same questions... and if I don't know, I sure would like to know the answer too!

1 comment: