Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Canning Cranberry Chutney


This WONDERFUL chutney is going to make the perfect thanksgiving left over sandwich. Its sweet, but kind of like a relish.... so it could be a side, but its an excellent condiment! Look out for it in our shop for the holiday.

Here's the recipe if you want to give it a try:

Cranberry Chutney

4 c fresh cranberries
1 1/2 c sugar (I use sugar in the raw)
1 c water
1 tbsp chai spice mix (cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, cloves, ect)
2 Large Rome apples cored, chopped (skin on)
1 medium yellow onion chopped fine
1/2 c golden raisins
1/4 c regular raisins


Directions:

In a large stockpot, combine cranberries, sugar, water, & spices. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently to dissolve the sugar. Cook until the cranberries begin to pop, about 10 to 12 minutes. Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers.



Stir in apples, onion, and raisins. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until thick, 15 to 20 minutes longer, remove from heat.

Pack into sterilized half-pint jars, and follow your favorite directions to process in boiling water bath canner. Makes 6-7 half pints.

3 comments:

  1. Yum! That looks and sounds so good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found it to be delicious! I am saving a jar just for Thanksgiving dinner here. I have some tomato and apple chutney on the stove going now. That one needs to simmer for 2 hours. My house smells like curry! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could get local cranberries to make this recipe! I haven't seen many cranberry bogs in So. California though...

    ReplyDelete